Cicadastone - Dying in Sunshine


As the second single release for Cold Chamber, Dying in Sunshine alludes to an album that makes for a rather dark, almost physical, experience. The first time I listened to the song I thought that it may have started playing from a few seconds in. With no warning, Cicadastone jumped straight into it with sinister riffs and sad vocal harmonies, taking me on a 4:26 trip that made me feel like I somehow ended up in a grungy underground bar back in the 90s.
 
Reminiscent of Alice in Chains in both the chorus vocal harmonies and the mixing of heavy eclectic guitar with a more jangly acoustic track, Cicadastone pays homage to the genre. But they do so whilst maintaining their own unique sound, which is no easy feat. 

Not much “happens'' throughout the song, and by that I mean, there isn’t really a build-up of any sort. There are no lengthy solos or changes in pace. It just kind of cruises at the same drony tempo from start to finish - yet another way in which the song reminds me of Alice in Chains. Overall, the song kind of made me feel like I had heatstroke, which, given the title, I’d argue is precisely the point.

SA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Man in the Arena - a rebirth for The Sound of Origin

ARTICLE: Why I love Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

LIVE REVIEW: Bands, breakdowns & beers on Sunday at Rabidfest 2023